Bangor ME Car Accident Lawyer
Bangor, ME Car Accident Lawyer
A Bangor, ME car accident lawyer understands that when a person has suffered injuries in a crash, not only do they need time to recover from those injuries, but they may also be faced with financial difficulties because of their condition. Car accident injuries can result in high medical expenses, as well as loss of income because the injuries prohibit you from being able to work.
The Law Firm of David Bate has worked with many injured car crash victims and their families in obtaining the financial damages they were entitled to from the at-fault party or parties and can do the same for you.
Immediately following a car accident, what should I do?
A Bangor, Maine car accident lawyer from the Law Firm of David Bate suggests taking the following steps:
- Health check: Be sure to check yourself for injuries. If you do not have any serious injuries, proceed to check on the well-being of any passengers that may be with you.
- Move to a safe area: If you are able to, move to an area that is safe. If your car is still drivable, move the vehicle to the side of the road. If the vehicle is not drivable but you are able to move, leave the car and go to a safe location.
- Notify authorities: Whether or not the accident is serious, contact local law enforcement. Officers will file an official accident report, which may prove to be useful when filing a claim.
These preliminary steps can help ensure your safety after an accident and help your car accident lawyer in Bangor, ME to build a solid case in your defense.
My car accident was very minor and I do not feel injured or hurt. Do I still need to go to the doctors?
Even if you do not feel like you are injured or hurt, seeking medical attention may be in your best interest. Some injuries after car accidents do not always present themselves right away. It could be weeks before you begin experiencing pain that was related to the car accident. Having a doctors opinion early on can help you achieve the compensation you need in an injury claim.
If the other driver’s insurance doesn’t cover the losses what should I do?
If the other driver does not have insurance or their insurance is minimal, you may be able to collect compensation from your own insurer. This is referred to as underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage. In these situations, your insurer will stand in for theliable driver that cannot pay. For many years, our Bangor, ME car accident attorney has been able to negotiate fair compensation on your behalf. In addition, our lawyers can take the necessary legal actions should the insurance company refuse to pay the compensation you deserve.
What should I do if I am partly to blame for the car accident?
After an accident, it is important to try and stay as calm as possible and not debate with the other driver who was at fault. Even if you think you may be partially to blame for the accident, it might not be the case because there are several different factors that may influence why the accident occured. Our Maine car accident lawyer is able to investigate why the collision occurred. If you accept the blame early on for the accident, this may be used as evidence against your claim.
Dealing with Insurance Companies
A Bangor, ME car accident lawyer may represent you in negotiations with the other driver’s insurance company so you won’t have to speak to them. Many insurance adjusters are trained to manipulate conversations in a way that victims may say things they don’t actually mean. Compounding the issue is that these adjustors may also tell the victim they need to record their conversation. The result is that the insurance companies use the victim’s own words to get out of paying for the injuries. This is why you should always let your Bangor, ME car accident lawyer deal with the insurance companies for you.
There are also times when a Bangor, ME car accident lawyer can explain to their client why they feel it is best to move forward with litigating the claim in court instead of trying to continue to negotiate with the insurance company. Examples of when litigation may be better than negotiation include:
- The insurance company attempts to drag out the claim process as a way to financially pressure the victim to settle for much less than their claim is worth;
- The insurance company tries to place partial blame on the victim in an attempt to decrease the amount of financial damages the injuries are actually worth;
- The insurance company is offering substantially less than what the victim’s financial losses are; or
- The insurance company denies the claim completely.
What kind of compensation should I expect to receive?
After a car accident there are different coverages that your insurance or the driver’s insurance at fault should cover. This may include:
- Medical bills such as surgeries, doctor visits, prescriptions, and on-going treatment.
- Property damage coverage for things that were destroyed during the accident.
- Lost wages for any time missed at work due to the accident.
- Pain and suffering.
- Out-of-pocket expenses that were related to the injury sustained.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
A Bangor, ME car accident lawyer can represent you in all types of motor vehicle accidents. In addition to car accidents, our firm also has represented many truck accident victims and we have extensive experience dealing with the complex issues that often arise in dealing with multiple at-fault parties in these complicated cases. Our firm also represents victims of motorcycle accident, bicycle accident, and pedestrian accidents.
Contact a Bangor, ME Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you have been injured in an accident caused by another party, consider contacting a car accident lawyer in Bangor, ME to find out what legal recourse you may have against the other driver. Attorney David Bate has been representing Bangor residents for more than two decades and can work diligently in obtaining the best result possible for your particular case.
When you need a Bangor, ME car accident lawyer you know can fight for you, call Attorney David Bate at (207) 945-3233.