Car Accident ME
If you are the victim of a car collision, you should consider getting legal advice from a car accident lawyer Maine families respect. Such an incident can be devastating and lead to physical and emotional pain as well as, compiling medical expenses. The inability to work may add to these problems and lead to copious amounts of depression, confusion, and anger. Luckily when negligence, carelessness, or wrongdoing is a factor, monetary compensation may be available. A Maine car accident lawyer such as David Bate understands the impact of a collision. Through a determination to protect the rights of victims, as well as an in-depth knowledge of the law, our firm will do whatever is legally feasible and necessary to get justice.
What should I do if I was hurt in a car accident?
If you were injured in a car crash, it may be in your best interest to contact a reputable Maine car accident lawyer like David Bate, as soon as possible. He may carefully look over your case and determine if your accident justifies a personal injury claim or lawsuit. During your initial consultation, be prepared to answer several different questions about your case, such as how the accident occurred and how severe your injuries are.
Here are a few other important steps you may want to take after your accident:
- Obtain a copy of the police report: If a car accident results in injuries, police must come to the scene and make a report. They may include important information about the accident, such as where it occurred and who may have been at fault. This report can give your car accident lawyer in Maine useful information about your case. Make sure to ask a police officer for a copy of this report.
- Talk to witnesses: There may have been witnesses present at the car accident scene. If you noticed any bystanders, it may be a good idea to ask for their names and contact information. If you provide their contact information to your car accident lawyer Maine trusts, he may call them to provide a testimony or deposition.
- Take photos: If you are physically able, remember to take several clear photos of the accident scene. These photos may help your car accident lawyer Maine depends on build a strong case. It is a good idea to take photos of the damage to your vehicle, your injuries, traffic signs, and any skid marks on the road. It could even be beneficial to take photos that show inclement weather conditions, such as snow or ice on the road, if these may have been a factor in your accident.
- Get medical care: Even if your injuries seem minor, it is still wise to seek medical attention as soon as possible. A physician may carefully look over your injuries and run tests if necessary. He or she may then determine if your injuries require any extensive treatments, like surgery or rehabilitation. Be sure to obtain copies of all your medical records from your doctor and provide them to your Maine car accident lawyer. If you do not get medical care soon after your car accident, the insurance company could argue that you aren’t truly hurt and make it more difficult for you to obtain compensation.
- Avoid speaking to insurance companies: After a car accident, the at-fault driver’s insurance company may ask to speak to you about your case. Avoid doing this before consulting with a car accident lawyer Maine counts on. An insurer might try to get you to settle on a low amount. Let your lawyer handle all communication with insurance companies.
Examples of Injuries That Might Qualify for Compensation
A car accident lawyer in Maine handles a variety of claims, each with their own factors such as the type and extent of the injuries incurred. Contrary to what you might have read or been told, the injuries do not have to be life-threatening in order to file a claim. Some example of injuries can include:
- Neck, shoulder, or back injury
- Sprained or broken bones
- Organ damage
- Loss of teeth
- Head trauma
- Brain injury
- Eye or ear injury
- Burn, scrapes, or cuts
- Permanent scarring
- Permanent disability
- Loss of limb
- Loss of life
If a car accident lawyer in Maine believes you have a case, he or she may assess any available evidence to determine the party(s) or entity at fault. Using this, your lawyer may determine a reasonable a numerical value for your settlement request. In a settlement, a car accident lawyer Maine drivers trust may fight for the following damages:
- All relevant medical expenses (past, future, and present)
- The inability to work
- Emotional anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral costs
- Punitive damages *when applicable
Understanding the Statute of Limitations
When it comes to filing a claim with a car accident lawyer Maine trusts, the sooner you take action, the better the outcome of your case may be. This is partly to do with the statute of limitations encompassing personal injury claims. In general, this period is not more than two years from the time you become aware of your injury.
David Bate Law Firm is On Your Side
David Bate sympathizes with car accident victims and their loved ones. As a car accident lawyer Maine provides, David Bate often works on a contingency fee basis. This means you are not required pay anything up front. Rather, you pay only if you win. This can be very advantageous, especially when your cumulative damages are rather extensive, or your insurance carrier is giving you misleading information. Regardless of any circumstances, it’s a wise choice to find out what an experienced, tenacious lawyer has to say.
There is no better time than the present to hire a lawyer to take your car accident lawsuit. If you are searching for a car accident lawyer Maine offers, contact David Bate at (207) 945-3233.