Injured on Business Trip

  • By:David Bate

Personal Injury Lawyer

It is not uncommon for someone to have to travel on a regular basis for work. Regardless of if you travel often or not or domestically or internationally, an injury related to your job that takes place outside of the office can be very confusing. Will workers’ compensation pay for my injuries if I wasn’t at the office? Will my accident be considered “job-related”? Should I wait to say anything until I’m back in the office? What next steps should I take?

Under workers’ compensation laws, your company is not responsible for any accidents or injuries that take place during your regular commute from your house to your office. However, if you are required to travel long distances for your job, the legalities change. If you are doing something related to your job, including travelling to a new location for work, you could have a workers’ compensation claim. It is important to speak with an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer if you have been injured while on a business trip.

What Should I Do After My Injury Occurs?

If you are hurt while on a business trip, there a few steps you should take following the injury in case your injury will be covered by workers’ compensation:

  • Report the accident: If you are at a hotel, foreign office, or traveling, you should report the accident to anyone who is in charge of the establishment.
  • Take detailed notes: After the accident takes place, take photos, take witness information, and write in detail exactly what happened as quickly as possible. Your memory can fade when you are in a stressful situation so it is important to write it all down, especially since workers’ compensation cases can take a while to complete.
  • Get medical treatment: It is important to always see a doctor after you are injured. You will need to tell them you were at work while this accident happened, as well as make sure you keep all of your records from any visit to a doctor due to this injury.
  • Tell your supervisor: Speak with your human resources department or supervisor to let them know that you have been injured. They will most likely create their own reports for the accident and they should provide you with a workers’ compensation form shortly after your report.
  • Speak with a workers’ compensation lawyer: If you are worried about your workers’ compensation claim, you should speak with a workers’ compensation lawyer.

What is Considered a Job-Related Accident?

You should speak with an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer to determine if your accident can be compensated by your company. Determining if an activity is or is not work-related can be challenging. For example:

  • If you are injured while at a dinner after business hours with a client, your injury could be covered.
  • If you are injured while at dinner after business hours on your own, your injury probably will not be covered.
  • If you are injured while sightseeing on your are, your injury will probably not be covered.
  • If you are injured while traveling for business, your injury will probably be covered.

If you have any questions about if your injury took place during a “work-related” activity, you should speak with an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer Washington, DC offers for clarification.



Thank you to our friends and contributors at Cohen & Cohen, P.C. for their insight into personal injury claims and business trips.

Posted in: Uncategorized