Wrongful Death Lawyer In Maine
If your family member died because of another person’s negligence, you deserve to talk to a reputable wrongful death lawyer Maine respects. An experienced lawyer may help you file a wrongful death lawsuit and obtain compensation for your loss. A lawsuit will not bring your loved one back, but it may at least bring the negligent party to justice.
What Is a Wrongful Death Claim?
A wrongful death claim is filed against an individual who may be responsible for another person’s death. If a wrongful death lawyer Maine trusts can prove that the defendant was negligent in his or her actions at the time of the death, the deceased person’s family members are entitled to compensation.
Wrongful death cases can involve a variety of fatal accidents, including car accidents, product liability, and medical malpractice. There is a statutes of limitations for every wrongful death claim. In Maine, if you do not file a claim within two years, you may lose your right to compensation.
When Can a Person File a Wrongful Death Claim?
Generally speaking, when a victim is seriously injured due to negligence or intentional harm, they can file a personal injury claim. If their injury is fatal, a surviving family member or other eligible person can file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit. Here are the most common scenarios:
When someone intentionally kills someone else. One of the most infamous examples is the parents of Ronald Goldman suing OJ Simpson for the wrongful death of their son.
When a driver is negligent and causes an accident which results in the death of someone else, usually a passenger or someone in another vehicle though it can also be a pedestrian.
When a medical provider makes an unreasonable mistake in the care of a patient which results in the patient’s death. This example is a medical malpractice wrongful death suit.
Services Provided by a Maine Wrongful Death Lawyer from David Bate
As a highly experienced wrongful death lawyer in Maine, David Bate can offer a number of services to your family as you pursue justice. The process of litigating a wrongful death lawsuit can be complicated and lengthy. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, certain criteria must be met and a strong case must be built. As a wrongful death lawyer Maine families turn to during such a difficult time, David Bate and his legal team can provide the following services:
- Expert testimony: We can locate and enlist the professional expertise of various experts to determine how the death of your loved one occurred. Their knowledge and opinion will be recorded in depositions and at trial. Their testimony will be used as part of your case in proving the liability of another party in the loss of your loved one.
- Physical evidence: As we build your wrongful death case, we will collect any all evidence available that proves who is responsible for your loved one’s death, and how the loss has affected your family. Physical evidence might include photos, video, and debris from the scene.
- Eyewitness testimony: Our investigative team can locate witnesses to the event and document what they say about the events surrounding the loss of your loved one.
Representation During the Litigation Process
If the negligent party is unwilling to offer a fair settlement, it may be necessary to proceed to courtroom litigation. A wrongful death lawyer Maine community members rely on from our firm can represent your family’s best interests throughout the litigation process. Filing a lawsuit usually means a long, stressful period that involves many confusing aspects of the law. During this time we’ll make every effort to help you through it. Here are the various phases that are often included in the lawsuit process:
- File the wrongful death lawsuit: A wrongful death lawyer Maine victims trust will file the claim with the appropriate court. We will make sure the correct paperwork is filed with the right court within the statute of limitations.
- Build a strong wrongful death case: This includes gathering evidence and documentation in favor of your case. It will include eyewitness testimony, depositions, and much more.
- Challenge the defense attorney’s case: A wrongful death lawyer Maine residents choose from David Bate will carefully review the defense team’s depositions and other documentation. Your attorney will make every effort to challenge their case.
- Work toward a fair settlement: Most wrongful death suits are settled without reaching the courtroom. However, if the defense does not offer our client a fair settlement after our best efforts, we will proceed to trial.
- Representation at trial. As a wrongful death lawyer Maine victims turns to again and again, David Bate will make every effort to bring justice to the family.
How Much Compensation Can I Obtain?
The amount of compensation you obtain from a wrongful death claim will depend on the types of damages the death caused. Here are common damages that family members sue for in wrongful death cases:
- Funeral and burial expenses;
- Cost of medical expenses before death;
- Loss of financial support the deceased would have provided; and
- Loss of emotional support.
After a wrongful death lawyer Maine counts on investigates your case, he or she may give you an estimate of the compensation you are entitled to.
What Are the Advantages of Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Maine?
Yes, it is possible to handle a wrongful death claim on your own. However, it may not be in your best interest to do so. A wrongful death case can be quite complex, and it is easy to make mistakes if you do not have a legal background. Hiring an experienced wrongful death lawyer Maine relies on comes with many advantages, including:
- Obtaining necessary evidence: In order to prove that your family member’s death was caused by negligence, you must present proper evidence. An experienced Maine wrongful death lawyer knows the type of evidence that’s needed, and may hire an investigator or forensic specialist to dissect the case further and gather the necessary evidence.
- Higher settlement amount: If you work with a reputable wrongful death lawyer, you may receive a higher settlement amount. A lawyer with experiences knows the value of your case, and may fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
- No fees if you don’t win: Many wrongful death lawyers work on a contingency fee. That means that he or she takes a percentage of the money you are awarded from the lawsuit. If you don’t win, you aren’t responsible for paying your lawyer any fees.
Do not wait to file a wrongful death claim. If you are still searching for a wrongful death lawyer Maine offers, contact David Bate Law Office at (207) 945-3233.